Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pushing Up Daisies

I've been home alone a lot since graduation...I don't start my new job until the 1st of June so until then I have to keep myself preoccupied at home.  That time has allowed me to discover a show that was on a couple of years ago - Pushing Up Daisies.  Ned, the star of the show, has a gift - when he touches the dead they come back to life.  But if he touches them again they will be dead forever.  AND if they are alive for longer than a minute, someone else dies in their place.  But thats not the point of my random musing.  Ned brings his childhood sweetheart, Chuck, back to life and chooses not to touch her again (which he has only done once before...for his childhood pet Digby the Golden Retriever).
 
I marvel at Chuck's second chance on life. She had the drastic chance to start completely over.  What would you do with a start over?  What would you do with a second chance at life?  Maybe I would try a new hobby.  Maybe I would stand up for myself instead of allowing others to take advantage of my passive personality.  Maybe I would try to be better.  After reflecting on these questions for a while, I realized that every day is a second chance.  Because of Christ, every day is a chance to start over, a chance to be better!  The thought brings me such joy.  I have a new life to live, just like Chuck!

But there's another thing about Chuck.  It wasn't easy, she had to leave things behind...things, people that she loved.   Sometimes a new start isn't easy.  Christ didn't say it would be easy, in fact, He said the exact opposite: "Behold I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewed as serpents and innocent as doves" - Matthew 10:16.  Starting a new life is never easy, there are habits and people you have to leave behind - things that you loved.  But the new life is so very worth it.  In Pushing Up Daisies, Chuck is very happy with her new life...though she sometimes thinks of her old life, she knows that the way things are now are much, much better!

As for me, my old life is pushing up daisies.  My new life has started and I am ready to be better, to live better.  It's so, so exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment