Thursday, September 15, 2011

WWJD?

Day 17 - Today I will embrace my identity as a follower, a disciple of Jesus Christ.

I had this horrible gut feeling this morning as I read through my devotions that there isn't much in my life that visibly points to my identity as a disciple of Christ.  Yeah, I'm a fairly loving individual but so are a lot of other people...people that aren't disicples of Christ.  I vowed this morning to change that.

But once I got back into the craziness of work - 4 babies, 10 kiddos between the ages of 12 months and 20 months, and about 20 different problems...I forgot all about what I read this morning.  As I came home I took a  few minutes to relax before starting dinner...when I realized that I had again put my Christianity on the back burner.  It was then that I asked myself the question - what does it mean to be a disciple of Christ?  It means to walk in His very footsteps.  Since I cannot physically do that without having a physical presence, what does that mean for me in the modern world?  It means to be like Him.  To do what He did, what He would have done.  I know it sounds cliche but what would Jesus do?  He definitely wouldn't talk to a co-worker about how another co-worker has seriously annoyed you.  He would try to understand what the underlying cause was in why the co-worker was annoying in the first place (aka...He wouldn't get annoyed).  He would have a better attitude about coming home to make dinner after a long stressful day at work.

I am supposed to be learning from Him...as a disciple.  The one thing I did do right today was read His word.  I read from John about remaining on the vine in order to bear fruit...(15:1-6).  God was definitely reiterating what I had read that morning.  I have to remain in Christ, I have to follow Him.  Obviously easier said than done.  But I'm ready to face tomorrow with the question on my mind: what would Jesus do?  I need to look to His example in all that I do, all that I say.  Maybe then people will be able to SEE that I am following in His footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment