Monday, September 12, 2011

The Energizer Bunny

So yeah...I really slacked off this past week...or so...  *sigh*   I did just a couple of devos and exactly no blogs.  But I'm hoping to get back on track....with each of the aforementioned.

Day 14 - Today I will take another step toward forgiving someone I've struggled to forgive.

Apparently God is really wanting to work on this forgiveness thing with me...because it is probably the biggest struggle I have right now.  I do have to say, the bitterness is beginning to subside.  For that, I am much happier....literally.  Have you ever had that shirt where the tag just bugs the back of your neck all day long?  You scratch, you adjust, you do anything you can think of but it still just irritates the heck out of you?  Getting rid of bitterness is like getting rid of that tag!

Unfortunately, just because I'm not bitter does not mean that I have forgiven.  Through reading this devotion this morning I realized what is holding me back - I want justice.  But as Sheila Walsh puts it, "When we forgive...We realize that we won't find justice in this world - it doesn't live here."  I may not feel like forgiving because I don't think its fair.  Well guess what folks, as our parents have continually told us, "Life isn't fair!"  Forgiveness isn't a feeling, it's a choice.  But, oh, what a choice that is!  It isn't just a one time thing.  Choosing to forgive is a daily choice.  Yes, I have forgiven today...but tomorrow, when all of those hurtful thoughts and feelings resurface I have to choose to forgive again...and again...and again.

Today, I choose to forgive.  And hopefully tomorrow...and the next day...and the next day...and the next day...

Well, you get the point  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment